Tuesday, September 13, 2005


A skateboard? What in the hell? Well, I was surfing the world of the Web last night and found a website that had a virtual museum of all the skateboards ever produced. I grew up in the counter-culture and spent as much time on a board as I do on a bike now. The Tony Hawk in the picture is just like my first board except I had a black one with metallic purple. Boneite too. Do you remember that crap? It was like paper in between layers of wood. Still, Powell Peralta made the most bad-ass boards and they had the Bones Brigade to back it up. Politics: Bush is actually taking the blame for the Federal Government's lack of response to the hurricane disaster. Damn, I hate this guy but I was impressed that he could do that. Whether he is sincere or has a bigger motive......well we'll see eh? Chequamgon? What! It is this next weekend? Christ, I have been eating pizza for the past two weeks. Kidding. Ice cream and big beers. Everyone asks me who the big guys are to beat. Well, if you race around here you already know the usual suspects. Doug Swanson (course record holder with a blazing time, and seems to be back on his top-notched level again), Jeff Hall (does this guy ever do bad in these events? He'll be there), Steve Tilford (like a fine wine he just gets better with age. Power and endurance freak), Brain Matter (he has got this crazy win streak going in these events. He is like Lance dammit), Tristan Schouten (fast this year but hopefully tired from the 24 Kona event. Either that of he has got some serious high altitude energy from Winter Park), And then there are those on them there different bikes. LaLonde on the single, the Eppen juggernaut on the tandem, Jed on the cross bike, and me competing for the first time on a three speed crusier. Hell ya, I have it all set up. Front suspension, balloon tires, spring saddle, and a horn. Actually, I am not sure any of these "different" bikes can win but they can get pretty damn close. I wouldn't put it past any of them. Me? I am feeling pretty good. How I feel now and in four days can change. I am just going to ride the best I can and try to put my head into this a bit more this year. Taking care of the little things I guess. Enjoy this fall weather. Get out and ride. A damned lady wants to challenge our Holzinger Trail use with the city council in Winona. Bring it on maam! Ciao -Ian  Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who's the lady? Scott

Eric O. said...

Watch out this weekend.Thunderstorms earlier this week dropped alot of sticks on the couse.

Anonymous said...

I thnk the question about "who is the lady?" was directed towards the winning woman in the Chequamegon. Well, the Midwest has a handful of women who could put it down. Sara Kylander-Johnson, Megan Monroe, Kya M. and who ever else gets snuck in there at the last second. By now we all know who pulled it off. Congrats to Megan Monroe. It was a close race though. -Ian

Anonymous said...

Ian,

The who's the lady question is about the trails at Holzinger. I know she will be met with great opposition, but what is her agenda?

Great season, by the way! Scott

Anonymous said...

I had this same board, as well!! Stacy Peralta, Lance Mountain, Steve Caballero, etc. Awesome!!

-Matt