Saturday, December 31, 2005


Oh crap! Tomorrow is 2006. O.K, a quick year in review. Hang in there with me though. It all started in Tucson for three months. I inflamed an achilles badly and just sat on my ass for 6-weeks. Got up and raced the Valley of the Sun. Finished 20th overall despite no training and freezing cold rain for an entire stage. Raced an Arizona mountain bike series race, broke away and was misdirected by a course marshall. DQ. But I felt good. Next up was the Nova NORBA Nats # 1 in Phoenix. I raced the 81 mile marathon with no support and finished 2nd behind Eatough. Finished 3rd overall in the semi-pro stage race. Packed up and went to Colorado. Got sick of Boulder within three days (snowstorm) and came back to Minnesota. Raced a few races with the team. Doug won them all. Cool. We schooled the boys at the Tour of 10K, got schooled at the Nature Valley Grand Prix. Actually, we did well with no plan. Worst crosswinds I have ever ridden in. Took fourth at the Alpine Valley WORS race from a back of the field start. Mechanicalled out of the next one. Raced the Hugo race in Colorado. 100 degrees and windy. Bonked and finished in the autobus. Freaked out because Nats was in four days. Raced the Elite Road Nats in Park City, got in the break, made my move in the end, got caught, screwed up the approach to the finish, 18th. Oh well. Raced the Ore to Shore. Got another damned stick on the rear deraileur (4-years in a row), finished 4th. Just didn't feel all that hot anyhow. Hit the Tour of Altoona with the GP boys. Damn hard race and 7-days. Loved it though. Crashed hard on day three. Couldn't get out of the soreness for the rest of the race. My Nature Valley Crew won the 24 Hours of Afton again with a 4-man relay team. We rule.....again! Got in the quick move at Chequamegon with all the Super Guns. Broke a wheel and basically got too distracted by that. Rode fixed for the last 30 miles, Turned into an idiot in the final mile. Took fourth......again! Just a couple cans short of a six pack for Sheboygen. Just didn't want to race anymore. whew. That is the sum of it. Next year I will race for Nature Valley on the road again. Trek is helping us out and we are looking pretty good for talent. I am riding for Giant on the mountain bike. A new Anthem on the way. I am looking at the NORBA Nat.s next year, especially the Marathons. I want to take a shot at the overall title. So the first big race for me will be San Dimas. And as for New Years? A beer, some Cirque du Soleil, sleep, and some riding tomorrow. Thanks to all for a great season. The riders, spectators, sponsors, and teammates and good friends. See you on the road and dirt in 2006! -Ian  Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

craig manthe said...

I guess taking the wheels off is one way to stop those freaks with their gas guzzling, I have a small package so I'll drive a huge hummer losers out there. Good luck next year, I'll probably see you at the races.

andy said...

where's that photo from?

Ian Stanford said...

From Park City at the Road Elite Nationals of this year (2005). I look bored eh? I think I was. I really wish I would have woke up by the finish. -Ian