Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Crazy Roubaix's

If I were a hippie I would move to Ward, Colorado in a second. If you have had the opportunity to bike up the Left Hand Canyon you will find yourself refueling in the Land that Time Forgot. Ward is a small little villa located at mile marker 16.5 up the Left Hand Canyon and right below the famed Peak to Peak Highway. Grab a Gatorade, a homemade cookie, and put on some extra layers for the way down. To be honest, this little store has saved my life countless times from the freak midday mountain blizzards that set in at times.
Don't let this happen to you. George's bike is looking a little worse for wear. Of course, those carbon wheels survived. Yea, they are Bontragers but remember that our boy in Minnesota, Steve Hed, is building those bad boys. If Steve can make a carbon wheel that can survive the pave of the Roubaix......well, that says something for Hed Wheels and Bontragers. Boulder from a vantage point. Speaking of Roubaix's, the Boulder Roubaix was last week. I finished 8th overall finishing in the chase group. I missed the break dropping back to get a waterbottle. Well dammit, I needed water. The damn potholes kept ejecting everyone's bottles. But I felt good and I was happy with the result. It was a great course. Fast, slow, loose gravel, potholes from hell, washboards, and rogue traffic at times. Chris Baldwin won the Pave trophy even though I never saw an actual pave on the course.

One last note. If you are top named U.S Pro and making a living racing (rare for most), please be cool to the rest of us. Act professional! That is what you are. I saw some of the top pros in the U.S acting like big A-holes this past weekend. Represent brothers and count yourself lucky to be where you are at. Ciao and have a good ride -Ian

6 comments:

carlv said...

So how does the Boulder Roubaix compare of the Oxbow Classic?

Ian Stanford said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ian Stanford said...

The competition is higher in the Boulder Roubaix and the course is a bit harder. Of course, the Oxbow has that crazy steep climb that really hurts. I love both of the races. I wish I could come back to do Oxbow, and would if i wasn't so jammed with term papers coming due.

CXKing said...

You'd move there IF you were a hippie?

Ian Stanford said...

Hell ya. I could grab my water bong, splash on some patchulli oil, put on the same clothes I have worn for the past 3-months, eat some trail mix, and go sit out on the bench with my underfed dog. Perhaps I might even look for a toothbrush. Man, you have to love stereotypes eh? The Dead lives!

jsager said...

that's so boulder.